Reiner welcomes the participants and informs on the developments since last meeting, especially on the developed program. He proposes to postpone the conference to April 2014. Reasons are among others: Syria, the cancellation of some speakers due to election campaign, controversy on extent and composition of speakers at the conference.
Claire describes the difficulties for the conduction of the conference in October: there are inner political tensions on Syria, great efforts of the French peace movement against a military intervention in Syria, difficulties of the movement to understand the aims and uniqueness of the conference.
Karim describes the singularity of the conference: all Afghan groups are at one table in dialogue about the future of their country. This did not happen for the past 30 years.
A discussion evolves in which different positions and different possibilities are mentioned. All the participants of the meeting decide commonly to postpone the conference. A discussion on a new date evolves. Unanimously it is decided to have the conference on April 25-27 2014.
Practical steps are being discussed:
– Karim will write to all Afghan speakers and the musicians, Claire will write to the French, and Lucas to the German and international speakers; Karim will contact again the Department Afghanistan Pakistan of the Foreign Ministry
– Texts for the postponement will be developed
– Financial aspects of postponement will be checked
– Claire checks the location
– Banner for “Change of dates” will be developed
Brainstorming for changes in the program
– Title should be changed to post-election: “future” “democracy”
– Preparatory discussions can be held in: Paris (with Karim), Denmark, Belgium (Ludo), Switzerland, GB, Netherlands
– Women: Sharifa Zurmati Wardak, Shukria Haideri
– New German Afghan politics after German Elections
– Discuss “reconciliation, democracy, Islam” in a pre-conference
– Further proposals for speakers: Abdolkarim Soroush
Materials for the preparation and promotion of the conference should be developed, for example
– Who are the Taliban
– Does a withdrawal of foreign troops lead to a civil war
– Political, society and justice
– Sharifa Zurmati Wardak à women’s perspective
– Debate: military vs civil perspective
– Interview Karim
– Women (Kristine, Farida, Wahida)
– Explanation to the conference
– Overview on elections
A strong mobilisation for the conference can be the Easter Marches.
Next meeting: 8.11.2013, Freiburg
Minute taker: Lucas Wirl
Berlin, October 4th 2013